Thanks to feedback from my Personal Learning Network, I think I am now on to something for finalizing my indexing project “Relation” element guidelines. Everyone in the class now has their images, and all relationships between images that are from the same play sequence have been made known to us. “Play sequences” can contain 2 or 3 related images and there may even be one that we’ll index that consists of 4 related images. So here is what I am thinking for my guidelines:
- Label: As the “left side element” name, I am thinking that the label for Relation should be “Same Play Sequence As“. I think for our particular context this is more appropriate and accurate than “Is Part Of” or any of the other suggested DC refinements.
- Element Description: Relation refers to images that are related to each other because they are derived from the same play sequence.
- Required? No. Many images stand alone.
- Repeatable? Yes. Some images have more than one relation.
- Guidelines: Indexers need only to input the URI of the related image(s) into the data entry portion of this element. If there is more than one related image, input subsequent URI(s) in a repeated field.
What do y’all think? Does anyone foresee any problems with this? Finally, I was thinking that we could make use of this Digital Object Linker plugin that will allow us to embed the related linked images into the metadata. OK, lemme know how crazy and short-sighted I am! Thanks!